Monday, December 10, 2018

sarah's lament

 try to keep my eyes shut
as the cursed city crumbles about us
the unfortunates that stayed and those that got away,
but still couldn't help but to gaze upon the burning city of lot
and thus condemned to stay
l was spurred on by the promise of a better life out there for us somewhere
couldn't help but turn my head and gaze upon the destruction alas,
the thing i was told expressly not to look upon
the word from the top was to "hit the ground running and don't you ever stop"
life as we know it was changing forever today
away from hearth and home into the wild world
to roam kept thinking there had to be a master plan,
but i couldn't reconcile the crying babies
on the ground with hungry wolves all around
and weren't those tears as real as any minted in the smithy of the soul?
didn't have time to curse as the brimstone fell fast and heavy about us
'twas pity that twinged the strings of her heart
and plucked out a sad melody unaccustomed to her ears
'twas the anguished cries of the sinners forever damned that turned her gaze
held my baby in my arms, protecting him from a world of harm
a voice broke like thunder above the clouds
as my ankles turned to salt and my eyes covered over with agony
 tears fell quickly and anguish and myself were introduced
 'twas a divine, righteous judgment on all of us, and yet i wonder
had not time to stop and grieve, lest the sky falling should be the end of me
alas, i'm at the end of my tablet so what else should a world wary traveller speak of?
in the twilight of his youth?
ah, my dear reader gone and dead i truly am
but perhaps for a moment or two i will live on in your head
truly then i might have one more laugh yet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home