Wednesday, November 23, 2005

various forms of “delishas”



derisiose derisious derusas
derisurs delishas belicious
delicics dericias

The following are a few variations on the word “delicious” I corrected for a spelling test in September. I’ve noticed that Japanese school children are very Zen (all or nothing) in their approach to academics. You usually get 100% or zeros with little in between. Even for the ones who didn’t apply themselves (whether it be out of cultural pride, a distrust of American Imperialism, or perhaps sheer boredom), I had to lament their closeness of missing the mark, which was oftentimes razor thin.
It got me to thinking, is a word really wrong if you know what a person is saying? I intentionally misspell words all the time, just cause I like playing with them. However, I guess you have to know the rules before you can break them.
Doesn’t every country that adopts English add their local flavor to the stew? I figure if “ebonics” can gain a foothold upon the English-speaking peoples of the free world, perhaps there’s room at the top for “nihonics”(not to be confused with nihilists). What’s wrong with allowing the Japanese a little leeway with the English language? You need only consult a Japanese dictionary to realize the amount of assimilated western words into their vocabulary, (rajio, pen, basu, fooku, resutoran, and chichi). Now, Westerners would consider these words spelled incorrectly for the most part, but to Japanese ears, they make perfect sense. Think what avenues that would open up to fledgling students when the English teacher would say, “I know what you mean, you pass the test”! Of course someone would have to sit down and write up a phonetics book and dictionary, which I’m certainly not prepared to do.
Inevitably there will be someone who simply wouldn’t be able to handle the infinite variety of spellings and pronunciations that would accompany a simple word such as “delicious”. I think if anyone at my dinner table said my cooking was “delishas”, I wouldn’t be offended. I’d say, “you’re alright in my book”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home