Thursday, September 29, 2005

pulling your card

Returning from a weekend retreat in the adjoining prefecture, I had a slight lay-over in Takasaki. Checking the departure board, I espied an Express bound for my next connection of Omiya.
Thinking how clever I had been, I settled into the posh surroundings of this JR special. My spirits were quickly dampened by the shark gray suit of a ticket collector. I thought perhaps I’d make it to point b undisturbed. Besides, what excellent time we were making, hard to give that up.
Of course the collector was upon me with his electronic pad. I fumbled lamely through my pockets in search of my embarkation ticket. I’ve made a point of spending the least amount on tickets as precaution the gate-keeper might be on a coffee break. After a few time saving catch phrases and pawing about, the pale orange ticket materialized. All the worse for me once my origins were ascertained. My coordinates quickly shot back a bill.
After recovering my astonished wits, I weeded through my ever-thinning wallet and produced the last of my latest advance. I considered the diminishing prospects of meals for the week and the inevitable rings to the company office requesting more funds. These thoughts coincided with visions of Natsume Soseki (1000 yen note person) sprouting wings and flying away. Such was the price of luxury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home